Kayak Three - Camp Triumph

 

Kayak Three, Camp Triumph

 

This kayak will be a display boat for a kid's camp in PEI my wife and I are very involved with. A large part of the camp involves kayaking, so this boat will hang on the entrance inside the main lodge. It will look like a working boat, but will not be fully glassed and epoxied.

This was designed with Ross Liedy's 'Kayak Foundry' software. It's sized at 12 feet to fit the space it's going in. It would be an interesting boat to paddle if it actually could float.

This camp is a big part of our lives, and my wife and I work on or at the camp each year. I do construction, she's a camp cook and part of the executive. Thousands of volunteer hours go into making this camp happen. The camp is a special place for kids who have a person in their family with a serious illness. It gives them a week to get away from the situation at home and just be a kid. Our family friends, the Sheriko family have created and run this non-profit camp. Please have a look at the link below, and help any way you can.

 


Camp Triumph


I'll be building and donating this kayak to Camp Triumph. It's an honor to play a small part in the magic that happens at this camp. Here's the KF file for this kayak.

The build log below this page will detail the construction through to it's final mounting in the lodge.

Kayak Three, Camp Triumph build log.

 

This will be a display boat mounted in a lodge at a camp, Camp Triumph, PEI.  It won't be fully glassed and epoxied.

Correction, it was fully glassed, epoxied and is a workable boat. I just couldn't bring myself to produce anything less.


 

 


2011-03-20

 

Forms cut out, new strongback milled on joiner and planer.


2011-03-25

Strongback made, forms fitted and zeroed in. I got some great Eastern white cedar from a lumberyard in Middleton NS. I bought five boards, 1x8x12 feet, enough for this build and part of the next. Gorgeous stuff, some of it as dark as WRC, very few knots. I ripped all of it and put a 5 degree bevel on one edge as opposed to bead and cove.

 

The ripping setup.

The 5 degree bevel setup.

Two evenings work later, 2600 feet of beveled strips.

First two strips on forms before calling it a night.

 


2011-03-26

Stripping the hull.

 


 

29/Mar/2011

Finished stripping the hull.

 


1/Apr/2011

Stripping the deck. I decided on a 'swoop' detail down both sides. Three 1/4" wide strips. Outter ones are darker EWC, middle alternates EWC and white pine.

 


3/Apr/2011

Top 90% stripped.

 


 

4/Apr/2011

Finished stripping the deck. Cockpit recess next.

Rudoph is testing the existing cockpit opening.

 

The deck detail strips worked out nicely.

 


15/Apr/2011

 Spent one weekend helping my son-in-law and his friend build camp kitchen boxes. My grandson was painting a tool-box we'd built together, so I hung the boat up for work room and so it didn't get painted fire engine red.

 

I found a way to avoid making a mess while pulling staples. Unless I grow a third arm, keeping staples from scattering all over the place while removing them isn't easy. I took two of the left over hatch magnets from the Guillemot build, and put one inside and one outside my shirt to hold staples. Not recommended for pace-maker users.

 

 

 

 Through the week I completed the coaming recess and cut out the inner opening. After that I prepared the ends for stem pieces and bent the first  stem strips into shape. The other smaller pieces are soaking in a piece of pipe for the night to soften them up. It will be three layers, Ash/WRC/Ash.

 

 

 

 

 


15/Apr/2011

Sanding done, seal coat of epoxy on.

 

 

 


 3/Aug/2011

I finished the boat before I went on vacation in mid-July. It went over to the camp the last week of July with my wife, who was volunteering at the camp for the week. Here's the finished product mounted on the wall of the main lodge.

And a zoomed in view. Not too close, there are mistakes, but only I know where they are.